Sacrament of Initiation
Confirmation is often received as a teenager many years after receiving Communion.
At Assumption Parish, Confirmation classes start in 7th grade and continue into 8th grade. These classes involve participation in a retreat, completion of service hours, research and writing a report on a saint and naming sponsors.
Confirmation classes will meet on Wednesdays from 4:30 to 6:00pm beginning in the Fall and continuing through the Spring.
RCIA and RCIC will celebrate the Sacrament of Confirmation on May 23, 2017 with the congregation of the parish of:
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel
3549 Navajo Street
Denver, CO 80211
Confirmation is regarded as the perfection of Baptism because the baptized individual is more perfectly bound to the Church and is enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit.
Hence they are, as a true witness of Christ, more strictly obliged to spread and defend the faith by word and deed.
The seal of Confirmation is a consecration, representing the safeguarding by the Holy Spirit of the graces conferred on the Christian at Baptism.
The Sacrament of Confirmation confers special graces of the Holy Spirit upon the person being confirmed, just as such graces were granted to the Apostles on Pentecost. Like Baptism, therefore, it can only be received once, and Confirmation increases and deepens all of the graces granted at Baptism.
The Sacrament of Confirmation bestows seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit on an individual:
• Wisdom: the perfection of the theological virtue of Faith.
• Understanding: allows us to grasp the very essence of the truths of the Catholic Faith.
• Knowledge: allows us to see the circumstances of our life the way that God sees them.
• Counsel: the perfection of the cardinal virtue of prudence.
• Courage or Fortitude: gives us the strength to follow through on the actions suggested by the gift of counsel.
• Piety: the willingness to worship and to serve God beyond a sense of duty to desire.
• Fear and Awe of the Lord: confirms the theological virtue of hope arising out of love.